Over
the summer, I took the bus to and from work every day. I enjoyed being able to
sit back and relax instead of fighting Austin traffic on my way to teach pre-K.
While on the bus, I would listen to different podcasts from NPR-it quickly
became one of my favorite morning rituals! Podcasts are a great, and often
free, way to learn about a new topic by using a source such as NPR or TedTalk. I
also like that podcasts can be downloaded and then listened to later on a
portable device, which is perfect when you don’t have wifi on the bus. I
appreciated this week’s lesson because I also learned how to create my own
podcast using the free software provided by Audacity. I hope to go and teach
overseas, and perhaps I can make a few podcasts in order to talk candidly about
my experiences.
Like other Web 2.0 tools, podcasting allows for people to share their ideas and knowledge with others in a relatively simple way. Through the use of free software like Audacity, users only need a basic understanding of technology in order to spread their ideas with a vast audience. Additionally, podcasts offer a depth and an insight that is more personalized that a website such as Wikipedia. Podcasting, however, is different from other tools since it is an audio source of information. While audio isn’t ideal for all situations, it is perfect when the user is unable to give their full attention, such as when driving. Just like other Web 2.0 tools, the audience of a particular podcast is ever expanding as more people gain internet access. This enables podcasters to reach a larger audience than a single radio interview would allow for.
I own
an iPhone and, as I mentioned earlier, I use it to listen to podcasts
frequently. I enjoy listening to podcasts as I ride in buses or even drive. I
especially like that most podcasts do not contain commercials, which makes it a
lot easier to enjoy. I think podcasts could be useful in the classroom, but I
think I would rather use a video service, such as YouTube. One of the benefits
of podcasting is that most podcasts can be downloaded and listened to later.
However, since most schools have internet access, I would use videos so that my
students would have both the visual and the auditory experience. I think
podcasts are best enjoyed when alone and less so in a group setting.
No comments:
Post a Comment