I will continue to search in the same way that I always do. I plan to show these websites to my students in order to encourage them to search in the way I do. Since I know how to properly search the internet in order to return scholarly and accurate information, I will hold my students to high standards with regards to online sources. While they may be able to use any website for their other courses, I will require that they only use scholarly information. I will probably also encourage my students to use the search engine Bing since you can get reward points for using it. I enjoy using Bing and I often get free pizza as a result!
In conclusion, I did not find this activity very helpful for myself since I have already been exposed to this information in different courses and workshops. However, it is one that I will probably use with my students in my future career. I find that activities like these are very helpful for students who are just learning about how to find scholarly sources for their work. I know that many libraries have workshops covering this information in order to encourage students to use the online database. I hope to instill the same high standards that I have for online sources in my students so that they will be successful in their future endeavors just as I have been throughout my academic career.
Valerie, I also was exposed to these same websites in high school. My teachers taught me that, though we don’t often think about it as adolescents, a lot of information out there is less than desirable as far as credibility goes. The peer review process is a great way to put a “check” on some of that information out there and going through a scholarly database usually is the best way to access those. I think that if you were already doing that and plan to continue to search that way and teach your students that, that is great! With all of the information out there, students need solid tools they can rely on that can get them as accurate of information as possible.
ReplyDeleteKara Hendricks